Friday 16 December 2011

I'm Alive & Why Can't I Dislike Christmas!?

Hello!  I am alive and I haven't forgotten about my blog!  I'm back with another near useless post for you all!  Just when you thought you'd gotten away with it! :-)


One Direction - Worth a kick in the face?
So, let's dig right into this; I don't like Christmas.  There, I said it.  I mean it and that's that really.  I don't see any problem with this, I don't like onions or olives either.  However, it seems that LOTS of people seem to have a problem with the fact that I don't like Christmas.  It's true; whenever I tell somebody that I don't like Christmas, they give me a look like I'd just kicked their favourite member of One Direction in the face.  Why is that?  Am I not allowed to like Christmas?  If I'm not, why not?  People don't like Halloween or Bonfire Night or even Easter but they don't get the weird looks and verbal backlash that those of use who dare dislike Christmas get.

I'm not a Scrooge type character, I don't want to ruin Christmas for anyone else.  If people like Christmas, I'm not going to try to change their minds.  Yet people feel that it's okay to say that I'm 'miserable' or a 'party pooper', which isn't very nice really.  Anyone who knows me will know that I'm far from a party pooper.  Yes, I suffer from depression and some of you might be thinking that I don't like Christmas because of that, but that isn't true.  I didn't like Christmas even before I was mental!  So I guess I should explain why I don't like Christmas, right?  Well I can try I suppose...

Actually, I can't.  I've sat here for ten minutes trying to lock down the reason why I don't like Christmas and I can't do it, which kind of invalidates my argument a little.  I think my main problem is with what I've already mentioned about people expecting that you should be happy just because it's 'Christmas'.  To be honest, this time of the year is the worst time of year for those who feel lonely or isolated and all the 'christmas cheer' that is seen on television and is expected from almost everyone just makes things worse.  I know from experience that being told to cheer up when you're down doesn't help at all so being expected to be cheery because of the time of year is the last thing that you need!

I can't say that I'll be physically lonely this Christmas because I have a loving family and great friends around me but there are loads of people the world over who don't have that and, like me, they get faced with the same revulsion when they say they don't like Christmas.  That's not really fair on them.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the next time you find out that someone doesn't like Christmas, don't castigate them straight away, give some consideration to their situation and use some of your 'Christmas spirit' to not be judgemental but understanding instead!

With all that said, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Kenny!

0 comments:

Post a Comment